Thursday, June 27, 2024

The Pilgrim Journey

 

Heb. 11:13
These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

The faithful who have lived and gone before us looked for a better place. This world was not their home, they were only passing through. We live in this present world and seek love and happiness. We are all pilgrims on this journey of life and we who are in Christ, seek to live with the blessing of God as we journey. The destination is the City of God, but often the pilgrim journey is hard, filled with heartache and pain. I think of one of my favorite hymns. 
“I can see far down the mountain, where I wandered weary years, often hindered in my journey, by the ghosts of doubts and fears; broken vows and disappointments, thickly sprinkled all the way, but the Spirit led, unerring, to the land I hold today.” 
Unlike those who died in the faith before the coming of Jesus, we have received the promise. The promise of the Father, the Holy Spirit, guides us on this pilgrim journey. We have the words of Jesus, “Seek the Kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you.” We walk each day knowing that Jesus cares and desires what is best for us. The pilgrim journey is not made alone. He will bless us as we trust and obey. He will carry us through difficult times. Like the songwriter, we also can know the blessing of God as we make this journey.
“ I am drinking at the fountain, where I ever would abide; For I've tasted life's pure river, and my soul is satisfied; There's no thirst for life's pleasures, nor adorning, rich and gay. For I've found a richer treasure, One that fadeth not away.” 
Is not this pilgrim journey the land of Beulah?

No comments: